The aim of LDS Kindle Books is two-fold:

The aim of LDS Kindle Books is two-fold:
  1. Provide free LDS books to Kindle owners

  2. Alert Kindle owners about new LDS books available in Kindle format.

The types of FREE publications include Gospel resources published by LDS.org in Kindle compatible formats, LDS General Conference talks, and LDS books which are free from copyright.

Linked books generally include publications from Deseret Book released for the Kindle or books by LDS authors produced by other publishers.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Deseret Bookshelf

For those Kindle Fire owners visiting LDS Kindle, I want to draw your attention to a wonderful article on MormonLifehacker with instructions for installing Deseret Bookshelf [LDS Apps] on the Kindle Fire.

You can also find instructions for placing personal copies of books here:


Welcome to the Kindle community!

Check out Adding Non-Amazon content to your Kindle to get started.

Update: Adding the Deseret Bookshelf app to your Kindle is slightly more complicated (and risky) than installing other LDS apps.  Until Deseret Bookshelf has an app approved for the Kindle Marketplace, the only way to install it is to find a .apk file for the application.  This lifehacker post explains how to search for .apk files and also the risks associated with them.


Update 2: Lifehacker suggests that appbrain.com is a good alternative to the Android Marketplace.  They have the most recent version of Deseret Bookshelf available for download.


Update 3: Please see the comment below... androiddev.orkitra.com appears to be a better alternative for the Deseret Bookshelf app


Update 4: Deseret Book has published their .apk file here: http://deseretbook.com/misc/bookshelf/android.apk  Thanks to our comments for pointing us in the right direction!

3 comments:

Rhonda McDonnell said...

I really struggled with this one, but I finally found a solution that is easily workable.

Go to androiddev.orkitra.com and search for deseret bookshelf. I was able to download and install it on my Kindle Fire easily from this site. Thanks for heading me in the right direction!

Colleen said...

I am beginning to think I have lost my mind. After trying to get my Deseret Bookshelf on my Fire, I am more confused. Actually, nothing loaded at all onto the fire (which may be a good thing ;) ), but there has to be a way to use all the stuff on my DB account on my fire, right?

It appears that is what all these instructions are. I can't even find the app on androiddev.orkitra.com.

Please restate the instructions for this simpleton. I swear retirement has made my formerly computer/app saavy brain to mush. It would probably help if I knew programming more so I understood the ramifications of doing this.

Anonymous said...

http://androiddev.orkitra.com/download/apps/?appid=3232329548488780709

That should help.